Thursday, January 22, 2009

Facebook, videos, and copyrights

Today I get on my facebook account and I had a notice that told me that they deleted my "colormation" because of copyright infringement. It said that if I try to reupload, I could be kicked from facebook. Nice. Especially nice since the video was not copyright infringement in any way. Here's the "infringing" video of me trying out an effect and talking to the camera, or my brother or something:



It is bologna that they did this. I have no idea how this is infringement. Some people say we shouldn't complain because we aren't paying for facebook (or youtube). well I say a few things: If we aren't paying for it how are they getting rich? donations? NO. advertisement. If we weren't paying and there were no ads, then maybe I shouldn't complain, but I am paying through the ads.

I'm mad about this, but the thing that is really annoying is how much farther this can get. Next thing you know it, more things on the internet will be uber-regulated. That kinda kills a huge advantage of the internet, especially with sites like youtube and facebook.

I would maybe understand taking the video down if I was trying to make money off of it, and I actually had some sort of infringement. I would also expect some complaint from whoever I was infringing. I've seen people's videos being taken down because they had some independent band that they were trying to promote's song in the video. That makes a whole lot of sense to take that down.

Anyways, I'll cut this rant short before I bore you.

No comments: